Tuesday, 21 July 2026

CRA town bumps, 2026

PXL_20260720_203958287 The finest sporting event of the year returns. But alas I am in O2 (aka M2) this year, rather than O1, having lost at the seat racing; still it was a fair trial. And - apart from the lost glory of course - I sort-of gain, because M2 has been going out as a crew 2-3 times a week, whereas M1, being full of ringers, only really went out together last Sunday.

But enough of that. Since I'm writing this after the fist day, I can report how it went.

Here we see M2, and as you can guess we went up, catching Fitz Alum just before or at Ditton. A good row. GPS gives us a max of 22.8 kph off the start, which I consider improbable; but likely we hit 1:30. And for some odd reason my HR doesn't kick in until half way through, getting to 156. Harry took a video of he start; it all looks quite clean. We had both Harry and Conor giving distances; this was quite confusing as they could both be heard, but Harry was more optimistic; so we went from half-a-length to three-quarters-and-closing; I took this to mean they had put in a push, which we were reeling back in; but I think now that wasn't so. Anyway, it was all the familiar feels: good to get whistles, taking forever to get the next one, seeing the crew behind fall back - good - but then get bumped - ah that means we really want this bump to stay ahead for tomorrow. Can I afford to just keep rowing cleanly or do I really need to put in 100% effort? I did put in extra to help us around Grassy, being on bowside. But on Plough Reach we sped up a little - it all went by in a blur and I had my head down of course but I think there were boats bumped out on Grassy and we lost a little there in steering - and we were down to "three feet!" and then it happened. Hurrah!

M3 was somewhat less glorious, we went down, to Tabs Past Masters, but that did include Morley, Arnold and Gunning, who really shouldn't be slumming it down on the third division. GPS. We got almost to First Post before... well, Andy's video tells the story. I love the way I slide into view, arm raised. Although he only captures the end, certain issues are evident: Luke catches with his blade at 45 degrees, as does Steve. However, I think we had a decent row, up to the crew's ability; since we didn't get to the corners I don't think my steering was tested.

Traditionally (2025), I try to do a pre-bumps assessment before the first day. Having failed to do that, I'll try to write what I would have said. Both M2 and M3 are decent for their divisions. M2 can get down to 1:30 off the start and doesn't die too quickly; M3 is more typically 1:45, but also doesn't die, and is significantly better balanced than last year (but frustratingly needs to be told for stroke side to pull their finishes up, and refuses to internalise this). M3 got somewhat unlucky in their (fast) chasing crew; we were making some, but slow, progress on Rad 2 ahead. I have hopes of actually getting around First Post in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment