Thursday, 30 July 2026

Book review: Inversions

PXL_20260729_101054452Inversions by Iain M. Banks is not a Culture novel, whatever the lying PR folk may tell you. Instead it is very slightly Culture-adjacent; the Doctor and the Bodyguard are tourists from the Culture, one presumes.

Lots of people like Inversions (see Goodreads) but whilst I enjoyed reading it (for the second time in twenty years) I retain the disappointment I felt on first reading it.

The story is well enough written but the prose is uninteresting. Careless fragment: quite a bit of the text is Oelph reporting to his master, but including stuff like "the autumn leaves whirled in the wind" which would be quite out of place in a factual report; it seems like Banks has forgotten what he is supposed to be doing in these bits; or is afraid that his prose will be too prosaic.

I was looking for some more exciting inversion than that was provided. Perrund's late change just isn't desperately dramatic; and if there's one at all on the Doctor's side I missed it.

One Goodreads review noted that he'd wondered if the twin stories were even happening at the same time; that I think would have been a dramatic denoument if it could be managed: the stories happening perhaps a century apart, somehow.

On the (lack of) Culture connection: it seems unlikely the two are working for SC, as they are so desperately unsubtle. They fit better the idea, mentioned in one of the other books, of individuals freebooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment