Monday 18 January 2021

House: foiling the loft

After the excitement of flooring the loft (not that it is fully finished; this is me we're talking about) I decided to continue with my secret plan of insulating the rafters too. Here we see the first set done. The foil is 1.25 m wide, 4 mm thick, and 8 m long, so it stretched easily across two voids, and did both two groups (pic with second).
  PXL_20210117_133711747

That was Saturday. On Sunday I decided to do some more, so went back to B+Q and got two rolls of 7 mm stuff (£55 each), 14 m long and 1.2 m wide. But roof-to-edge only needs 3.5 m, so 14 m is good for 4 groups with no waste, I hope. Here is it's info sheet, and a pic of the roll.

It is somewhat awkward getting it straight in a confined space with only one person. Stapling it on goes easily enough. There are a few wires to avoid... here's where the solar panel wire comes in, garden side. I've written on the insulation where it is. There are some "before" pix on the garden side; and on the road side which shows the solar wire, if you look closely; more detail. The thicker stuff seems more awkward to handle.

Notice that I haven't "finished off" at the bottom, or against the brick wall: I'm not sure what I'm planning to do there, so have left it for the moment. Also, I haven't taped the seams.

Here's a bit further, showing the wrapping around the beams (should I do that?) and how I had to cut it to get around the cross-beam (all the Youtube videos of how to do this stuff don't mention that, oddly).

PXL_20210121_155347533

Going around the vertical and evading my new wires was a bit of a pain, too.

PXL_20210123_112940258

And looking the other way, road side:

PXL_20210123_124057232

There are some electricity wires under there; I've written on the foil where they are.

[2021/01/30] It's been a quiet week. Today I did another panel's worth, on the garden side, level with the chimney. General view. I also unrolled one of the rolls of carpet:

PXL_20210130_173447005

It is more useful, and less in the way, that way. I also put the foil behind the light-fitting; which isn't in use at the moment cos the LED light is better and doesn't dangle down. Although note to self the socket is live: it is where the multi-block power is drawn from.

Meanwhile in the living room I replaced the ceiling rose which was old and dirty.

I've now (2021/02/14) done one more strip, by the loft hatch. Upwards view. I've marked on the wires.

PXL_20210214_144903433


No comments:

Post a Comment