Wednesday 22 August 2012

Mallorca: Wednesday

[Originally: https://wmconnolley.livejournal.com/27591.html]

Yesterday was just a bit too exciting, especially the second visit to Pollenca. So today we all agree to have a relaxed day "at home".

E and I get up at 7:30 to go to the gym and the indoor pool. I was hoping to use the running machines, at least as warmup, but don't get on with them at all - they are hard to work, and don't run at the right pace, I think, or I'm not in the mood. Anyway, I give up and use the dumbbells and then the stationary multigym instead. By starting on low weights I get a warm up anyway. This is my second time in the gym (other than erging) in 20 years, so I just do some simple arms stuff: lifting the dumbbells up, 10 reps or 3, 4, 5 kg. And then on the machine, the pushing-the-weights-away-from-you exercise, 10 reps from 5 to 45 kg then 5 at 50 and 55. That was about 30 mins. Meanwhile E has been swimming in the pool, which is no warmer than the outdoor one.

Back for D and M and to breakfast, though due to misc delays its past 9 when we get there. As usual, there is far too much choice and I eat too much. There was a how-do-you-like-our-hotel survey, D+E filled in one and M+I the other. I was surprised to find how much they liked the place, and perhaps even more so how much M did (I would rate this as far below the Parador San Marcos in Leon; because the ambience simply can't begin to compare with the peace of sitting in the cloisters there. But the children have different criteria). But I was pleased that they like it - E in particular raves about how wonderful it is.

But I (and M) do get to relax over coffee and read Hobbes as the children depart early. Hobbes quote, well actually its Aubrey, of Hobbes: "He had read much, if one considers his long life; but his contemplation was much more than his reading. He was wont to say that if he had read as much as other men he should have known no more than other men." I think that applies somewhat to me, and perhaps I should do something about it: read less, think more.

Afterwards, a bit of swimming, a bit of coffee in the pool cafe, lunch in the appt (bread, ham ("casa westfalia"), cheese (still have a bit of the stuff we got in the local fruit-n-stuff store), etc.), the Great Risk Game (todays variant is to have more binding treaties that are actually written down secretly, with rules for breaking them. We have achieved the Risk Event Horizon, and now spend longer writing and arguing rule variations than we do playing). D and M have a "take out W" treaty, it transpires, but since I have N and S America and peace with Miranda across the Arctic I brush them off and we crush them in return.

Tonight's dinner - we go back to the buffet, everyone is happy with it, there is no tedium with ordering or waiting - is seafood, so D is even more happy. I even try a langoustine, to show willing, but if you ask me they are more for display than consumption. they do make a superb display though. Rice pudding with strawberry sauce and strawberry ice cream is more my style.

Then a quiet walk down to the beach and a lovely swim in the sea - get got there about 8:30 as the sun was setting (behind the hotels, no glory of a sunset out to sea; plus the noise of the disco removes any hope of peace) and swam in the warm shallow sea until we got out of our depth. And gently the light faded out of the sky and the arms of the bay came into relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment