Friday 24 August 2012

Mallorca: Friday

[Originally: https://wmconnolley.livejournal.com/28568.html

Got up with M again to watch the sunrise. We intended to wake up E, too, she having asked (D was a definite No) but we forgot to make sure we had one of their cards. So since she wasn't responding to knocks, we left without her (there is always tomorrow). Again the pre-dawn grey light, thought its warm already. This time there was a low cloud bank on the horizon about two sun-diameters high, so we didn't quite see the "true" sunrise - probably we were rather lucky yesterday. Afterwards, M went for a run along the beach, about 4.x km, taking about 1/2 hour. I just sat watching the sunrise and the light, and pondering various things that may have seemed weighty at the time but are now gone.

Breakfast, a splash in the pool, then I think a morning risk game. Lunch was bread cheese and ham from the complex's shop: we're not too hungry, since breakfast is pretty filling, not just because its an all-u-can-eat buffet and so good value that way but also because its good food. Afternoon another risk game, and then watching La Vuelta at M's instigation, but I'm now interested too. Some reading by the pool. Late on, we all go down lead by E and end up having swim-underwater-across-the-pool competition (or rather challenge: I can do 2 widths and a bit; E and then eventually D can just manage one). Also D and E try diving in (and M, after initial amusing hesitation/fear); somewhat surprisingly they're both rubbish. I and M try to explain diving and realise that I don't really know how I do it. Try to analyse what I do but it doesn't quite work.

Go to dinner not-too-late so that I get a bit of rest after and then run along the beach for 12 km in total, getting "to the end", i.e. the end of the sand in Can Picafort. Since I started about 20 mins earlier tonight I had light for the first bit, so could see the hotels disappear for the backed-by-nature-reserve section. But I still finished in darkness. I lose my CSR running top! I left it on the sunloungers left on the beach, and when I got back to the start it was gone. Hopefully I can get another.

DSC_1677-pomegranate-on-tree

This picture is actually from tomorrow, but I don't seem to have any from today so it will do. Near the entrance to the hotel were some trees that, after a bit, we noticed were pomegranates. And some of them were ripe to splitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment