Tuesday 21 May 2024

New bike: Trek

Alas, my old Genesis is no more; stolen from near the Railway bridge while I was reading Lewis and watching the river. I really should have locked it up; one moment it was there, the next not. Here is a photo in memoriam:

DSC_1894

From 2015 you'll notice; so it lasted nearly nine years; fair going. It was quite knocked about by the end, and the headset needed attention.

Here's the new one:

PXL_20240520_115008889

It is lovely, even though technically it is a women's bike (m'lord). And indeed technically not new, but second hand; but it has been very well looked after. And here's another view. £420 I think. I could have a red Merida instead, for about the same price. This was from the Science Park Bike Hub which has a good set of ~£400 bikes.

The tires aren't new but are in a decent state, ditto everything else. Rim brakes, Bontrager wheels and tires.

Size identifying pic (56 cm).

I bought a cheapish (£18) combi lock for it, which I might well use day to day; having started using it, I'm finding not taking my keys out of my pocket all the time is rather nice. But for heavier duty I've now spent £85 on an Abus Granit 470 300 mm. That pic also shows that my bike is a Trek Lexa; which it seems hasn't been sold by Trek since about 2015/16, so whoever had my bike used it very lightly indeed. It looks like they were ~£1100 new, and I see them for £250-£400 second hand now, so I'm happy. After riding for a few days: it is lovely to be back on something that is smooth and doesn't click or clatter and the gears just work.

Update: July 1st

The cheapish combi lock failed; it stuck. Happily, the cable didn't resist five minutes of hack sawing. But I decided I did like the no-keys stuff, so have bought a somewhat more expensive Abus (Chain Lock Tresor 1385/75) to replace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment