Friday 19 February 2021

House: tree fellas

Longtemps, we're needed some tidying up of the trees at the front, which were not really meant to be trees, but a hedge. A month or two ago a bloke called and put a card through the door, touting work; and I spoke to him but didn't decide to get it done then. But five minutes later wondered why not. Today, someone else called and so we spoke for a while and he offered to do it for £160. Is that a fair price? I have no idea. But it was worth it to me, and I also feel some faint obligation to support others in these difficult Covid times. So, here's before and after:

PXL_20210219_095912817 PXL_20210219_140506191

Perhaps I could have taken more care to align the pictures. What has been done: the multi-stemmed cherry is down at ground level; the last Leylandii is now gone; a few hazelnuts have been topped; and the beech that had Rob's iron bird on it is now cut off at head height. And a few bits of the hedge trimmed. Once they'd all finished I did wonder if the cherry was actually mine; but I think it probably was.

Here they are hard at work.

PXL_20210219_101031439

They have their truck, into which the chippings are sent. They would have chipped all the logs, but I told them not to bother with the big ones: I'll take them round the back and either use them for something or burn them.

They seemed quite cheerful - it wasn't a bad day - and were fairly good and tidy. So once they'd done, I decided not to lose the chance this time, and took him round the back to look at the old blackthorn which has been leaning up against and getting on for pushing down my shed for a while now. And he offered £50 for that, which again seems fair - he didn't need to take away the bits. And so, that is done too.

No comments:

Post a Comment