Friday 27 August 2021

The Design and Evolution of C++

1630083597052-cc14aeaf-8af7-408d-8537-0da53044aa9d_ Reminder to self: these "reviews" are as much a record of what I've read as any attempt at proper reviews.

The Design and Evolution of C++ by Bjarne "Barney" Shoustrup is very much what it says it is. As such, it isn't a good way to learn C++ if you know C, which is my position, but hey ho so it goes: it was what I had. Now I look the inner page says "John Rickard" in pencil, which will mean something to a few people.

It is a good book on the evolution of the language from someone who ought to know. It also shows something of what you need to be like in order to "own" a language: BS clearly has strong opinions and in many cases was clearly right. I particularly enjoyed Cato the Elder's contention that, furthermore, he was of the opinion that Cpp must be destroyed, even if I don't share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment