Tuesday 15 September 2015

2015 Autumn: more incompetent beekeeping

[This was formerly on "William's Bees" blog, but really, I don't need a separate blog for that.]

I finally get around to looking at the hives, prompted by Nikola asking if I have Apistan. I haven't, so I buy some online from Thorne's. And Saturday is a lovely afternoon, so after an hour preparing the way with the lawnmower I'm finally in a position to look inside.

You may want to read May 2015.

"New" hive, the flat-topped one, that was vigourous in spring: from the outside, very quiet, so I'm not hopeful. Take off the top and its full of bees. But, its also got comb hanging from the roof, so put that back on and move down. Its set for hive-and-a-half. Next super (the half) also has stuff, and I poke around, looking for brood: none. Move down to the brood box: rather thinner, and no obvious brood. Hum. Well, its Autumn I suppose. But still. Having thought about moving it back to just-brood I decide against, and leave it alone; and put the Apistan into the half. Moving up, for unclear reasons, I take some of the slabs of comb out of the top.


"Main hive" - the slope-roofed one that wasn't very vigourous in spring. Well, still looks a bit thin. Top super: empty. Next down: nearly empty. Brood box: looks fine. Leave it alone, put Apistan in, close up.

I really need to find more time to spend on the bees. I should clear the weeds away more permanently, renew some of the boxes, renew some of the comb, fix the flat roof, get myself some new gloves... the list is endless.

I should also sit in the sun watching them more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment