Thursday 14 April 2022

Back to the Old Place

Yesterday I took Miranda back to Magdalen, via Mother, slightly complicated by me testing positive for Covid. But we sat at the far end of her dining table and left the garden door open.

Magdalen featured a water meadow - the one by Addison's Walk - full of fritillaries, which must have been there in my time, but I never looked. The virtues of Instagram, which is where I found out about it.

PXL_20220413_144241627

After that, I decided to tootle back via Berkhamstead. And to get to Berkhamstead I went the cycle route I used to use, via Headington, the A-road, Tetsworth to the W edge of the Chilterns, up via Chinnor... I now see this is the Lower Icknield Way. Then through Wendover, with a little trouble finding the right way, and down Stablebridge Road to the hump-backed bridge I've driven over so often but never stopped to see before. But there's a little parking area, and path down, and it turns out to be the Wendover Arm of teh Grand Union Canal - and, should I ever go that was again by bike, it looks to be much better to cycle along the canal than heave up over the hill. See GPS trace, with pix.

Thence to Berkhamstead, which remains much as on my last visit; I parked past Dean Incent's and had a coffee - Nero, but it was 6 and the locals had shut - on the far side of the cross roads, watching life go by. Berko isn't prepossessing from that viewpoint; but it remains a nice place.

After, up onto the common, before going down to Great Gaddesden for the graves. And remarking, again, how lovely the countryside is. I shall record some names, so they may be found: Diana Vignoles Nash nee Proctor; Wilfred Henry Nash. And so, home.

See also

A piece of Olde Englande

No comments:

Post a Comment